Mental Health Resources and Tools for Women of Color Entrepreneurs
The data and statistics about mental illness and American entrepreneurs are simply staggering. The New Voices Foundation is committed to helping you – our community of women of color entrepreneurs – stay healthy, prioritize mental health and well-being, and recognize when intervention is needed to accomplish those goals.
According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, “millions of Americans face the reality of living with mental illness.” A recent study by Dr. Michael Freeman highlights that this reality is even more sobering for entrepreneurs nationwide, citing that “72% of entrepreneurs suffer from one or more mental health issues and 58% of entrepreneurs report feelings related to Imposter Syndrome.”
Additionally, the #Tools4Founders campaign, suggests that entrepreneurs are:
- 3x more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, stress, and fear
- 6x more likely to suffer from ADHD
- 3x more likely to suffer from substance abuse
- 10x more likely to suffer from bipolar disorder
Available New Voices Resources:
Several Learning Lab™ LIVE webinars can help you start your journey to prioritize your mental health and well-being. The following seven webinars are good to watch or rewatch to help you reflect on your personal mental health and wellness practices; get ideas on how to better care for yourself; and, discuss how you can put processes in place that will support sound mental health and wellness in your everyday life and in your business.
- “Founders’ Entrepreneurship Wellness Chat” with 54 Thrones‘ Christina Tegbe, Peak and Valley Co, Nadine Joseph, ROSEN Skincare‘s Jamika Martin, and Ode to Self Skincare‘s Kimberlee Alexandria-Day. This webinar will help you reflect on and start thinking about what mental health and wellness mean to you and what it can look like for you personally.
- “The Art of Time Management for Entrepreneurs,” Shunta Grant of Best Today. This webinar will help you reprioritize how you spend your time to allow for better, more consistent, and intentional self-care, including mental health and wellness practices.
- “Power of Purpose: Ask Me Anything” with Richelieu Dennis, Founder of Sundial Brands, Founder/Chair of Essence Ventures, and Founder of New Voices Fund & New Voices Foundation, and Sharon Chuter, Founder, CEO & Creative Director of UOMA Beauty. This webinar will help you reflect on and reconnect to your purpose/driving force and inspire you to prioritize your well-being and your purpose when doing business.
- Learning Lab™ LIVE: The Reset series with Jean Brownhill of Sweeten; Diishan Imira of Mayvenn Hair; Pinky Cole of Slutty Vegan; and, Monique Rodriguez of Mielle Organics. These webinars will help you get inspired about what is possible for you personally and in your business and may also provide tips on mental health and wellness.
Other available tools and resources:
- The Best Today Guide
- The Best Today Podcast
- Minding My Black Business Podcast
- The Shine App
- Purposerosa Vision Session Workshops
The journey to staying mentally fit is ongoing for all of us, and like any journey, it begins with a single step. Any of the resources listed here would be a step in the right direction. Find one or two that feel right for you and use them to start your journey toward becoming intentional about maintaining your mental health and wellness.